Dawn J. Williamson is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor specializing in clinical practice with those who have experienced trauma. She received her MSW in 1991 from Portland State University where her areas of focus were child sexual abuse and play therapy practice. She originally received her bachelor’s degree in social work from the University of Montana and retains a strong foundation in the generalist perspective. Dawn also teaches both at the PSU School of Social Work and the PSU Trauma-Informed Services program.
Dawn continues her work with all age groups across the lifespan from a developmentally informed perspective providing services for myriad concerns, mostly focused in the area of abuse and trauma. Her private practice is in Dundee, Oregon, and she works closely with community partners within rural Yamhill County and surrounding areas. She serves as a consultant for the Lutheran Community Services Northwest Play Therapy Clinic.
As a Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor, Dawn is passionate about the need for ongoing education about expressive therapies and is committed to increasing the availability of play therapy trainings for the novice clinician. Dawn has presented workshops around the State of Oregon as well as internationally – specifically, in Costa Rica. She is currently serving as a board member for the Association for Play Therapy, Oregon Chapter.
Credentials and Accolades• Licensed Clinical Social Worker (1995)
• Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor (1997)
• Therapy with Adoptive Families (2004) Portland State University
• Psychological Trauma: Effective Practice and Treatment (2009) University of Washington
• Counseling with the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (2011) Western Oregon University
• Animal Human Health (2012) University of Denver
• LEGO Serious Play Certified Facilitator (2017) Vancouver, BC
• Recipient of 2017 Public Education and Promotion Award